The key to showprep is knowing your strategy. Knowing what you are going to do on your show before you walk into the studio. It’s finding a fresh mix of content that’s really going to connect with your audience. Knowing where and when to use content it is part of the strategy.
Here’s a few ideas that can help refresh your showprep strategy. Take these raw ideas and make them personal for you!
- Plot out your show by quarter hour. (Find ONE great element of content for each quarter hour and plot out the show that way)
- Prep buckets. Identify 4-5 subjects you know your listener values everyday. Use these subjects as your prep buckets. (Faith, family, relationships, fun, music, adventure, fitness, finance, parenting, hope, marriage, entertainment etc) Each day, look for stories to put in your prep buckets, that way you an rotate through content. Prep buckets challenge you to build a rotation for the subjects your listener cares about most. It’s like strategy by content category.
- Themes. When you break up your topics hour by hour, you can frame your strategy like a theme. IE: Rotate the heart content with the funny content. Rotate the human interest with the spiritual and so forth. This will give a different texture to each hour in your show. What are 3 or 4 themes that I want to highlight today instead of the typical news stories/bits/call in discussions? If I start with 3-4 themes they work as the outline. Then I can steer the discussion and lead the show rather than the time just controlling me.
- Top three. Find 3 trending stories your listener might share with her friends. Find 3 encouraging stories that make you smile. Find 3 Bible verses or spiritual themes that feel relevant today. Find 3 stories that will make your laugh. Start your show outline with your top 3 in mind.
- Point of view diversity. This strategy is about how you will share the content you found. Look at all the stories and prep you’ve collected. Think about the different ways to tell the story differently than you did yesterday. Am I sharing this story in the third person or in the first person perspective? How can I build this story into a fun call in discussion or a Facebook live video? Can I take this raw story and add nostalgic music/pop culture clips/and lots of verbs to help create emotion or make it theatrical? Am I focusing on storytelling? (What’s my beginning, middle & end? How do I better highlight the characters in this story? Am I talking about this story with another personality from my station in order to get two different points of view? Look at today’s stories and think about how to shift the point of view and change the texture.
Here’s the recording from our entire Creative Cardio Easter brainstorm call! Feel free to share this with your team. It will be up for the next week for free, then it will go to the brainstorm call archives for our paid members. Grab a pen and click here to listen!
Here’s an Easter brainstorm call we did with our members a year ago. This is from the CreativeCardio.com archives!
TONS of unique Easter angles & ideas from dozens of creative personalities from all over the country! Click play and grab a pen! You will be writing ideas down furiously!
Today’s special!! Click here for a free trial! 3 quick questions and you are right into all the password protected content!
Creative Cardio is much more than showprep. It’s a series of idea starters. We aren’t about posting the “day in history” or the “latest celebrity gossip” or the “impossible question/trivia.”
We post idea starters that you can take and develop into show topics/bits/stories & discussions that will engage your listeners on a deeper level. As a member of our community, you post ideas that are sparked from the resources, articles & stories we share. It’s a community that perfects ideas and transforms them into unique content. We believe that if you engage in the community at CreativeCardio.com it will develop you into one of the most creative radio personalities in America! Click here to make a trial login for 30 days & dive into all these resources!
We send out a FREE email each month with a TON of showprep idea starters you can use for your show! We also do group brainstorms over the phone that you can be a part of. If you want to be updated on when these are, share your email here!
We want to have meaningful conversations with our kids, but when we ask lame questions, we just get one word answers! Ask open ended questions to stimulate a conversation. Have follow up questions ready. Here’s some examples:
Tell me about the best part of your day.
What’s been the hardest part of this week for you?
Did your brother say anything that made you laugh today? What’s the funniest thing about your mom?
Which friends do you miss most from school?
What’s the biggest difference between this summer and last summer?
Tell me about what you read this week?
What’s the hardest video game we have? (Let’s play it together and maybe I can help!)
Who did you play with today? What did you play? Who won? (Why do you think they always seem to win?
What used up most of your energy today?
What did I promise you this summer that I haven’t delivered on yet?
What rules are different at school than our rules at home? Do you think they’re fair?
What’s on your bucketlist this summer? Give me your top 5!
What do you like most about our neighborhood?
What do you feel that God has been teaching you this week?
Can you show me something you learned (or did) today? (When you see your kid do something well, ask them to teach you how to do it!)
We had 30 personalities on our Creative Cardio 2016 Pledge Drive Brainstorm.
Here’s the FULL audio! You can download it here and grab all the ideas shared!
This year I want to help my listeners better comprehend the reason “why” our radio station exists. Our “why” is different than every other media option our listeners engage with. I want to help our listeners visualize where we’re going. I want to better frame the WHY behind what we are doing.
I think about the way Dr. Martin Luther King shared his dream for what our country could look like. He didn’t say “we need to do this” or “you need to change” or “people need to stop doing.” He simply cast a dream and invited America into it.
Some of the most compelling pledge drive breaks actually cast vision for the listener. Here’s a few ideas you could use to share a dream for what God could do through your radio community.
I want tone a part of something that is really changing lives
I want to be part of something that encourages others
I want to be part of something that challenges our kids (or my kids)
I want to be a part of the solution and not the problem.
I want to see a revival in our city.
I want to see a shift in our culture
I want to encourage others
I want to challenge the next generation to really step up & shine a light (or shine their light for God)
I want to see God do even more in this city!
I want to be a part of the change.
I want to see my money go farther than my own resource
I want to be a part of the solution
I want to build into the solution
I want to help make this city a better place to live
I want to see more Christians doing real art
I want to build something that will be here for my children
I want to connect with Christian music on my iPhone
I want to reach people in cities that don’t have Christian radio…
I want to reach people in some of the darkest countries of the world with the hope of Jesus
I want to help bring the churches together in this city
I want to see my church grow
I want to be a light in the darkness
I want to help be the ‘shift’ that our culture needs
I want to invest in something that others are also investing in.
Our desire is to share the hope of Jesus with even more people this year.
To bring even more family friendly events to this city
To connect more people with local churches, because we believe the church is the hope of the world
To encourage even more people to make God’s world their moral and spiritual foundation
To challenge you to love generously
To challenge your kids to life boldly for Christ
We desire to see a new generation of children growing up with Christian music
I would love to see more businesses & charity groups challenge the people in our city to move to solve more local problems
We want to see our kids singing worship music in the car
We want to help churches grow in our city
We want to give even more people a place to plug in with
We want to share news and information from a Christian perspective
We want to connect you into a community that challenges your relationship with God and with other Christians.
When I give, I feel like I’m part of the solution
When I live generously, money doesn’t have any control over my life
When I give, my money helps the less fortunate right here in town
When I give, I’m helping to share the hope of Jesus with people who are struggling.
I’m investing in the life change that’s going on behind this radio ministry
I want to see culture shift in our country.
I want to see more people stepping up in love in our city
I want to be a problem solver. I want to be an organizer. I want to be a world changer.
I want my kids growing up with Christian music because I believe in the power behind it
It’s spring & we’re always looking for fresh ideas. Here’s a recording of a 40 min Creative Cardio brainstorm call with 15-20 personalities sharing on air discussion ideas. Grab a pen! There’s some fun ideas in here!